Halloween pet safety is important during the fall season for many reasons. Scary costumes, trick-or-treating, caramel apples, haunted houses, and carving pumpkins are a few past times. While enjoying these fun times, we must keep our furry pets and their safety in mind. There are several things that to keep in mind to preserve Halloween pet safety. Here are 6 pet dangers and safety tips to follow this year:
- Hide the Treats. Keep the candy bowl out of reach and all the candy that is gathered from trick-or-treating. Halloween pet safety means being mindful of candy is toxic to our four-legged friends. Chocolate in all forms is very dangerous to cats and dogs. Xylitol is found in sugar-free chocolate and candy and can be deadly if ingested by your pet. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, rapid breathing, increased heart rate, and seizures. It is reported that the number of pet poison control calls increases 21% at Halloween. In the event your pet does ingest candy, please call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 immediately.
- Keep Wires and Candles Out of Reach. Curious kittens and puppy tails are notorious for causing accidents. It is especially important at Halloween to protect them from knocking over lit candles or brushing their tails across the fire causing burns. Exposed electrical cords pose the risk of life-threatening shock or burn if Fluffy chews them. Battery-powered decorations are certainly the safest, however, can cause chemical burns when chewed open or can cause a gastrointestinal blockage if swallowed.
- Costumes Aren’t For All. Some pets love it while others hate it. It is a good idea to try the crazy costume you purchased or perhaps made for your pet, the day before. Make sure they are able to move, breathe, and bark or meow. While the doorbell is sounding off constantly with strangers coming and going, our pet’s anxiety level is likely to rise. If your pet is uncomfortable with their costume in addition, they will be under a great amount of stress. More so, if your pet decides to jet out the front door while you are passing out candy, you want them to be identifiable. This might not be likely if they are dressed in a costume. If you are adamant about making your pet participate in the Halloween festivities, please consider a candy corn pattern bandana.
- Glow Sticks Are No Sticks. This is a type of stick you do not want your pet to get ahold of. Keep them out of reach and out of sight if possible. Although the liquid inside glow sticks is non-toxic, it tastes awful and can cause quite a mess if chewed open. Your dog may show signs of agitation, pawing at their mouth or vomiting if they taste or ingest glow stick solution.
- Keep Halloween Plants Out Of Reach. Dogs and cats can suffer neurological problems if they ingest molds that produce mycotoxins. Eating old pumpkins or corn can cause this and gastrointestinal upset is probable. Pumpkin is safe to feed to pets in small quantities if it is from a can and without sugar or spices.
- Pet Identification. Protect your pet should they get lost by taking the time to make sure their microchip and Pin Paws tag information is up to date. We promote the microchip as a way for owner identification. In the event the chip has moved and is not detectable, the pets Pin Paws tag will identify the owner and other important information. Also, if your pet were to escape out the front door or gate on Halloween night and is found, the vet will not be open until the morning for your pet’s microchip to be scanned. With a Pin Paws tag, the person who finds your pet will be able to access their tag by scanning, online, or calling our 24/7 Customer Service Line. Your pet is likely to be returned to you that same evening, rather than extending your wait and worry for hours on end, and possibly days.